As of January 1, 2014, Individual & Family health insurance policies are guaranteed issue and no longer require medical underwriting.
In order to prevent adverse selection, there are 2 specific enrollment periods to enroll or change plans/carriers.
Click the carrier logo to be directed to a secure enrollment portal.
Important: You will NOT qualify for a special enrollment period if: you terminate coverage voluntarily, your coverage is terminated due to fraud, you fail to pay a premium, or you lose coverage for plans like Short Term Medical, Fixed-Benefit Insurance or individual/family plans.
Proof of qualifying event:
During the application process, you will be required to submit proof of your qualified life event. The specific carrier will instruct you further.
Proof of Residency:
Most insurance carriers require 2 forms of proof that you are a resident of California.
Effective date of coverage due to qualifying event:
In most cases, your requested effective date needs to be on or after the date of the qualifying life event. More commonly if you enroll by the 15th of the current month you will obtain the 1st of the following month as your effective date.
Additional effective date options may be available beyond those originally presented when getting a quote. If this applies to your life event, these additional effective date options will be made available after you submit the application. Contact our office for more information.
Not sure if you have a qualifying life event?
Please contact our office if you would like to discuss further your specific situation within 60 days of the event.
Contact your state's marketplace if any of the following are true:
1. You have a qualifying life event AND you are eligible for a subsidy
2. You have a qualifying life event that can only be recognized by your state’s marketplace:
- Your non-enrollment was the result of an error as determined by the marketplace
- Your health plan violates a material provision of its contract with you
- You are newly ineligible for advance payments of the premium tax credit
- You are an Indian as defined by section 4 of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act
- You have exceptional circumstances as determined by the marketplace
Individual medical plans are medical insurance policies that are Minimum Essential Coverage for individuals and families (not employer-sponsored group coverage).